Everyone in America already knows, but a POWER OUTAGE interrupted the Super Bowl for 34 minutes last night, right after half time.
1. The Baltimore Ravens were ahead 28 to 6, before HALF the lights in the Superdome went out. And once the power was restored, the San Francisco 49ers made a HUGE comeback . . . but fell just short and lost 34 to 31. Here’s what happened . . .
2. The teams played a minute and 38 seconds of the third quarter, before the lights went out on the side of the stadium behind San Francisco’s sideline. Apparently it was because of a power surge coming in to the stadium from outside.
3. CBS was broadcasting the game, and they lost power too. That’s why they went to commercial without explaining what happened. When they came back, only one sideline reporter, Steve Tasker, had a microphone that worked.
4. After about 34 minutes, full power was restored and the game resumed. The Ravens led 28 to 6 before the power failure . . . but the delay seemed to give the 49ers new life.
5. They scored 17 points in the next FOUR minutes and 10 seconds, and outscored the Ravens 25 to 6 the rest of the game.
6. They even had a chance to take the lead with a minute and 50 seconds left . . . but the Ravens stopped them on fourth down at the five-yard line. Here are the other things you need to know . . .
7. Ravens quarterback JOE FLACCO was named MVP . . . he threw three touchdown passes and had 287 yards passing.
8. Wide receiver Jacoby Jones caught a 56-yard touchdown, and also returned the second-half kickoff 108 yards. That tied for the longest touchdown EVER in the NFL . . . and not just in Super Bowls. (–It took him 11 seconds, which means he was running 20 miles an hour.)
9. John Harbaugh . . . who coaches the Ravens . . . beat his younger brother Jim, who coaches the 49ers. They shook hands and slapped each other in the chest after the game. It’s the first time brothers coached against each other in the Super Bowl.
10. RAY LEWIS won his second Super Bowl, in the last game of his career: He’s retiring after the season. He had seven tackles in the game, the second most on the team.
11. 49ers quarterback COLIN KAEPERNICK had 302 yards passing, and threw one touchdown. He also ran 15 yards for a touchdown, which is the longest touchdown run by a quarterback in Super Bowl history.
12. And CHRIS CULLIVER . . . the 49ers player who made anti-gay comments last week. . . had a TERRIBLE game. He was covering Jacoby Jones on the 56-yard touchdown, and was beaten several other times by guys he was supposed to be defending.